Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

One Busy Day

Do you ever have days where you start out behind? This is one of those days.

I turned my alarm off this morning when I thought I had only snoozed it...

When I finally did get up and had my quiet time started, Hannah, my ten-year-old woke up vomiting...

I gave Hannah a cardboard box that was sitting near by so she would have something to throw-up in...

Donna tells me she was going to use that box for something. I look at her and tell her she can have it back in a minute. She gives me a look that could kill...

I have five appointments on the schedule today. And when there are five actually scheduled that means there will probably be twice that...

So... interesting day already and the sun hasn't even come up.

I did, however, have a good quiet time this morning. I ran across a verse that I feel led to memorize today. Read this verse in a few different Bible versions, with each one you see a little more of its meaning and emphasis...

But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.
Acts 20:24 ESV


But my life is worth nothing unless I use it for doing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus – the work of telling others the Good News about God's wonderful kindness and love.
Acts 20:24 NLT


But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.
Acts 20:24 NKJ


Ordinarily I do my devotional reading from the NLT and my studying, memorizing, and preaching from the NKJ. But I am going through Acts in the ESV just to become more familiar with it. So it was in the ESV that the verse caught my attention and led me to look in the other Bibles. I will resist the temptation to write three or four paragraphs of preaching on this verse. You can apply it to your life as well as I can. Just read through it a few times in each version. I think it will encourage you today.

Pastor Noel